Saturday, July 17, 2010

Garage Sailing 0: Impetus of the Wizard

Yard sales are one of my favorite things in the whole world. Some of my most cherished possessions have come from yard sales. Including the original LP of the Star Wars soundtrack, and the comforter from this set of sheets:



Which is actually the only comforter I own, so I sleep with it pretty much all the time.

The fact of the matter is that I'm extremely quirky in my material desires. I have been for over a decade now. I remember being 12 years old, trying to put eBay auctions on my birthday lists, because that was the best way I could think of to tell people I wanted an SNES game that hadn't been sold in half a decade.

Yard Sales represent a gold mine for somebody with quirky sensibilities like mine, because not only do they often have the kind of old stuff I love, but the people selling the stuff are often so eager to get rid of it that they'll sell these things for mere fractions of what they're worth. What's more, there's this feeling of discovery, of finding something you really want among the mountains of chipped dishes and old clothes, which is a really fantastic high.

As you may have guessed, I visited a yard sale today. I was on my way home from Jeremy's house (Or Kaygan's, or Egamdaednu's, or "a friend's," depending on who is reading this post) and I saw a big one. Looked like the kind my family used to do, where the entire extended family would gather up their unwanted stuff and sell it all at once.

At first glance there was nothing of great value. There was a printer, but lesson 1 of garage sales is that stuff like that almost NEVER works out in the buyer's favor. I've got a 40inch television which attests to that. There were a LOT of dishes, some very nice cheap end/coffee tables, but those are common and I don't have a place to put them right now, so I skipped them. I also found something I REALLY wanted, which you don't see too terribly often: a HUGE bag of assorted lego. Unfortunately they wanted $20 for the lot, and I had $7 on me. I could have made them an offer, but if I were selling them, I honestly would take offense to an offer below $10, and would expect to haggle my way up to $12-16 at least.

Then I saw one of the greatest sites you can see at a garage sale: a big pile of NES games. There weren't many good ones there, not ones I'd want to go home and play. But I did find this one:



This looks pretty awesome. Lets take a closer look at the cart art:



Oh yeah! Looks like I'm in for some old-school console RPG fun!

I picked it up for a dollar, and because I don't actually own a working NES at present, I booted up the emulator for the game. I know that sounds silly, but being a child of that era, owning the cart gives me a strong emotional bond to the game. Someday I'm sure I'll be able to find a working NES. Until then, the pleasure of owning the funny shaped gray bit of plastic warms my heart.

Turns out though, Legacy of the Wizard isn't an RPG. It's sort of a...sandbox platformer. I know that sounds weird, but take a look at this:



Yeah, I know right?

I played the game for about 30 minutes on full screen. I get the feeling that the manual was pretty essential to this game--more so than it was with games like Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy. I thought I picked the rogue, but I think I ended up picking a wizard with really short range spells and super high jumps. She wandered around killing bad guys for awhile, and I made it all the way to just above the center of that map. If you're looking at it and see the same pattern I see, I got to the third column from the left, sixth row from the top.

The game is pretty fun, but I want to find a scan of the manual, I feel like I'm really missing something here.

/most rambly post evar

No comments:

Post a Comment