Sunday, August 1, 2010

Garage Sailing II: Urban Archeology

I didn't mean to, really I didn't.

I had Blag Hag's Blogathon to do today. I was really looking forward to spending my entire day reading and commenting and generally getting my Internet on.

But on the way home from work on Friday, I saw what looked like a really kickass Garage Sale, and, well...

...it only got worse.

First I had to go to the bank, but I wanted to shower before going out in public, and what do I see from the upstairs bathroom window? Another yard sale.

So, I go to the bank, and start heading towards the garage sale I saw saw yesterday, when I pass ANOTHER garage sale! I'm not trying to do this, I swear!

So I stop at my first garage sale of the day. And this immediately catches my eye:

Photobucket

Five dollars, in beautiful condition, very classy globe. This is the kind of classical decor I feel juxtaposes well with my generally modern aesthetic. And ya know what the best part is?

Photobucket

USSR baby.

Okay, so then I head off to the Yard Sale I passed yesterday. Realize I forgot where it was, and drive around aimlessly for awhile. I ended up passing the same FedEx guy 6 times, on completely different streets.

Eventually find it, across the street from my old elementary school, and discover that while it's TOTALLY a badass sale, it's also way out of my price range.

The woman running it had closed her Antique shop a few months back, and was selling excess stock in yard sales over the summer. So most of the stuff there was pretty expensive, but it was worth going just to look at it. There was a dresser that I really quite liked, save for its $250 price tag.

I did find this, though, which I found oddly appealing.

Photobucket

Odd, because inoffensive art, and seafaring art alike are both usually quite distasteful to me. But there's something about this painting which simply screams to me "I'm totally worth the two dollars you spent on me!"

Then I went to, what I thought would be, the last garage sale of my day; the one I saw from my window. And I found the most wondrous treasure there:

Photobucket

Sturdy, lightweight, aluminum construction, fully adjustable for shooting at any angle, cork camera mount to prevent scratching, large thumbscrew to facilitate easy removal of camera. Everything about this is made of win, and it was FIVE DOLLARS.

To put that in perspective, for the last few weeks I've been doing some preliminary research on local camera shops and the like, expecting to pay $50 for something like this, because I really love tripods, and my old one is broke. This one is BETTER though. I was fucken' stoked.

So, then I returned home, thinking to spend the rest of my day enjoying the bloggy goodness. It was not to be, however, as I was informed in passing of a yard sale on the east side of town which advertised having tools.

Now, I'm not a very manly man--the hairs on my chest are actually implants, since I never did anything manly enough for me to sprout any of my own. But I like to build things, and tools help with that, so I figured I'd give it a look.

Unfortunately, there was pretty much nothing there when I showed up. There was some cheap furniture, but I'm full up on that already. I ended up with these three plates for a dollar:

Photobucket

On the way home from there is where I really hit the jackpot:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


SNES games were $3, NES games were $1, books were $1 and $0.50 respectively, and the Zelda figures were $2 per box. Total amount spent at this sale: $18. The people were SUPER nice and interesting too. I usually get along pretty well with people hosting garage sales, but these people, I might have even wanted to hang out with just for the pleasure of their company.

So, yeah, I ended up with almost as much stuff as last week, in about an hour of time accumulated over the course of the day, and I wasn't even looking.

I think I might have a superpower.

No comments:

Post a Comment